Wednesday, February 26, 2014

How Did I Forget?

Our family gets really busy, although I know even busier families. When Hope was born, I quit working to spend the first year or so with her. I thought that once I was a stay-at-home mom again I would be so on top things. I figured I would have all this time to make sure I kept track of everything. So far, this has been anything but the case. My memory seems to have left with the birth of Hope. I even forgot her (very briefly) in the car once.

Between my older kids sports, school functions and keeping them on track with school work it is a miracle I remember to brush my teeth. There are many nights where I need to have my family fed and get a kid out the door by 5:30. This means I need to either grab something like Subway or get something cooked fast. I know that I am one of many parents that are in this situation. One of the other side effects of not working is we are also on a tighter budget. So I have a few go-to meals that are quick, easy and cheap.

Tonight my family was fed my Veggie Chili. Which, my best girlfriend calls "goulash". Whatever it is, it is so easy and yummy. The grown-ups love this meal but I will say my girls are never super thrilled for this meal but they eat it anyway. This meal gets the hubby's approval for being healthy.

Veggie Chili
Ingredients:
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/4 of a Large White Onion 
1 Bell Pepper Chopped (Optional)
1 can of Black Beans, drained
1 can of Red Kidney beans, drained
2 cans of diced tomatoes
3 Tbsp. Hot Sauce
1 Tbsp. Chili Powder
1 Tbsp. Cayenne Pepper 
Time: 
Prep: 10 minutes Cook Time: 30
Directions:
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add onions and bell peppers and heat until onions are translucent, stirring often, about 7 minutes. Lower heat to medium. Stir in beans, tomatoes, hot sauce, chili powder and cayenne powder. Put lid back on the pot and reduce heat to low and simmer for at least 30 minutes. 
Serve with crackers, sour cream, cheese or cornbread. 

You can season this with as much or as little spice as you like. My favorite hot sauce is Cholula. You can leave this on the burner on low for a long time. The total cost of this meal that feeds my family of six is around $6. Of course the more add-ons you add the more expensive. 

My younger daughter did ask me tonight to please stop making this on nights when she plays basketball since beans have the tendency to give her gas. My reply was: "Beans, beans, the musical fruit, the more you eat, the more you toot".

No comments:

Post a Comment